Address: 2400 W. Alabama Street – #100 | Phone: 713-528-8955 | Website: https://fringesalonandcolorbar.com | Written By: Michele Matkovich | Salon Consultant & Marketing Expert | 2021 © all right reserved
You just graduated beauty school and are ready to hit the ground running!
First of all, congratulations on graduating beauty school! We know that this is a big accomplishment and you worked really hard to get here and we are so excited for you. Now the real work begins-starting your career in cosmetology, no matter what area or niche you chose.
While there might be some nerves, it can also be an exciting time with lots of opportunities.
You may have spent months learning to do everything from manicures to hair styling, but now comes the task of finding out what exactly you want to specialize in – which will determine where you go next.
The next step in your career should be to decide what you want to do with the knowledge and skills that you’ve gained. If you have an idea of a specific role or position, then it may not be too difficult for you find one.
However, if this is still unclear after graduation many people will start by learning more about their interest areas before they make any decisions.
Salon employment is tough to find without experience, but apprenticeships are one of the best ways for beginners to get their foot in the door.
These programs provide a way for you to learn from an established salon with experienced staff and build up your resume so that you will be more attractive when applying.
Don’t forget: Apprenticeships are one of the best ways to start your career. You’ll spend time in an established beauty salon while learning from their staff, which is invaluable experience for any new hair professional!
We have 5 tips for you on how to start out right as a new hair stylist in Houston, TX.
1. Get your license immediately after graduating – do not wait or procrastinate on taking the state board exam. you’ll need this in order to work legally.
2. Find an apprenticeship salon like Fringe Salon and Color Bar – if they offer one, this is a great way to learn from experienced professionals who have the ability to train and pass on their knowledge skills and education.
3. Interview at at least 3 salons – find out who some of the best local stylists are and ask them about their career paths, what they did and how they did it. Networking is extremely beneficial when choosing where and who you will spend that majority of your days with. Make it count and do not settle for the first opportunity that comes your way. Plant yourself somewhere for the long haul to establish roots, opportunity for growth and be part of a team that will support you along the journey.
4. Attend industry events – these will give you access to people who can hire talent like yourself and also keep you up-to-date with the latest trends in hairstyling
5. Join social media groups for salon professionals – a great way to network with other stylists and learn more about salon culture.
If all of this sounds daunting and you need help deciding what’s best for your future, call us today and schedule a tour at the salon and meet some of the team.
If at the end of your tour you are feeling the #FringeTribeVibe then schedule a day to come shadow one of our leaders and see what a day in the life of our tribe is like and start manifesting your own 6-figure career right here at one of Houston’s Best Hair Salons located at 2400 W. Alabama Street in the River Oaks/Upper Kirby area, not far from the Galleria.